2016 was a dramatic year, and it seems that everyone’s tallying up the highs and lows they went through over the past 12 months. We’ll leave the pros and cons of the last year up to the rest of the internet. Right now, it’s time to talk about how to keep things positive for next year. 2017 will no doubt provide the world with dramatic events, but no matter where you stand, you can probably agree that you need to stay cheerful, hopeful, and energized.
Everyone keeps positive in different ways. If you need some advice, here are some good tips for 2017:
Volunteering for meaningful organizations is a great way to boost your mood while helping other people. The following types of organizations are usually looking for some extra help:
- Health advocacy groups. Women’s health providers, medical relief groups, and many other kinds of health-related organizations often need to spend as much funding as possible on products and services for clients. They can save a lot of money by relying on volunteer work.
- Veterans’ groups. Veterans have given everything they have for your safety. Unfortunately, the reality is that they’re often neglected once they return home from deployment, leading to poverty and even homelessness. Volunteer groups can offer a much-needed helping hand to the country’s returning heroes.
- Homeless outreach. The homeless need help. And there is a ton of volunteer work available to anyone who wants to do the right thing.
2. Get Cultured
One great way to stay positive is to fill your head with the things that make life interesting. Art can shake up your perceptions and ideas about the world, and it can inspire you to live a meaningful, purposeful life.
Try these out:
- Books. Everyone loves reading. One special thing about books is the sheer number of them. Reading a beautiful novel written 150 years ago in a foreign country is a great way to remind yourself that temporary events are just that: temporary. Read a few of those classics you’ve had sitting neglected on your shelves for too long.
- Movies. Movies are a great escape. They’re also a great way to engage. Comedies can make you forget the world’s problems, while dramas can show new ways to help fight those same problems.
- Travel. Seeing the world is an experience like no other. You’ll reenergize your spirit and stimulate your mind. Nothing will keep your spirits up in 2017 better than a journey into an exotic land.
3. Build Relationships
Keep your loved ones close. Friends, family, and community members are a steady bulwark against despair. Set a goal for 2017 to get out more often to see the people who mean the most to you. You’ll be happier, you’ll accomplish more goals, and you’ll provide inspiration for the same people who are helping you.
Make 2017 a year to remember!
2017 will be interesting. Both wonderful and terrible things will occur. They always do. The only way to maintain a healthy balance is to stay positive. Help those in need, keep active with your passions, and focus on the people around you. You can make this a remarkable year of your life.
Donna Fitzgerald is an avid reader and writer, who enjoys living along the coast of North Carolina. Entertained by her loving daughters, Donna stays active within her neighborhood and is passionate about health and family wellness. In her free time, you can find Donna curled up reading her favorite novel or writing in her journal.